TD Waterhouse Tower Strikes Gold
Property Awarded CaGBC LEEDŽ Gold EB: O&M Certification
Toronto, ON (Aug 15, 2011) - The Cadillac Fairview Corporation Limited is proud to announce that the TD Waterhouse Tower (79 Wellington Street West) at the Toronto-Dominion Centre has attained LEED(R) Gold Certification under the Existing Buildings: Operations and Maintenance category, presented by the Canada Green Building Council.
This award marks a special accomplishment for TD Centre as we have been working diligently to exceed several environmental and operational benchmarks that we know will benefit our valued clients.
Cadillac Fairview has long been committed to environmental stewardship at Toronto-Dominion Centre, and it's great to see the hard work of our team recognized in this way. Achieving LEEDŽ Gold is a testament to architect Mies van der Rohe's timeless design of the TD Centre and our commitment to preserving this while offering uncompromising service, comfort and energy efficiency to the 21,000 people that call TD Centre home every day.
The LEEDŽ Gold certification helps to set TD Centre apart from its competitors and prove that greening of an existing building of this quality is both the smart thing and the right thing to do.
In order to achieve LEEDŽ Gold EB: O&M Certification, TD Centre had to meet strict, measurable benchmarks and earn credits in five categories - Sustainable sites, Water efficiency, Energy & Atmosphere, Materials & Resources, Indoor Environmental Quality.
This prestigious certification was achieved through a long history of enhancements to the property with operating efficiency in mind, and through Cadillac Fairview's national GREEN AT WORK™ program. GREEN AT WORK™ is a detailed, measurable and long-term proprietary program implemented at all company properties that sets operational benchmarks to reduce energy consumption and waste, improves environmental protection, encourages sustainable procurement and ongoing communication with key stakeholders.
The following initiatives helped TD Centre to meet the standards of the five LEEDŽ categories:
The Occupant Engagement Program™- Through its unique Occupant Engagement Program™ (OEP), Cadillac Fairview is reviewing its operations in a unique way by creating a comprehensive program to encourage and actively engage tenants to help meet progressive consumption and meet eco-friendly standards.
- Energy Reduction- The TD Centre has reduced its overall energy use by 6 per cent since 2008 by installing automatic lighting controls, state-of-the-art building automation controls, real-time energy monitoring and lighting retrofits.
- Enwave Deep Lake Water Cooling- In 2004, the TD Centre was connected to the energy and cooling abilities of the water from Lake Ontario. This upgrade replaced 13,000 tons of chiller capacity and reduced electrical consumption by 90 per cent of the electricity previously used by the chillers.
- Electricity Submetering Systems - Installed on every office floor, the system allows tenants to log in, view, and manage their individual and specific energy use.
- Reduced water usage by 8 per cent- In 2009 water consumption for the TD Centre decreased by 8 per cent thanks to washroom fixtures with low consumption, auto valve controls, aerators on water faucets, and regular water audits.
- Sustainable Construction and Infrastructure- Through sustainable purchasing, construction is supervised at its infancy, using specific building materials that minimize waste and air contamination. In doing so, Cadillac Fairview is proactively supervising its green initiatives and ensuring that each project follows the criteria from start to finish.
- Transportation - As part of its dedication to environmental action and ongoing greening, the TD Centre is directly linked with the PATH, downtown Toronto's underground walkway which links 27 kilometers of shopping, services and entertainment; facilitating pedestrian links to public transit for 100,000 commuters, daily. Cadillac Fairview's TD Centre has also partnered with Zipcar, a car sharing program in its own parking lot levels to encourage green transportation. In addition, the property has bike racks to provide public bicycle parking for more than 400 bicycles.
Cadillac Fairview has already achieved LEEDŽ Gold EB certification through the U.S. Green Building Council at its Simcoe Place office tower, and LEEDŽ Gold NC for its innovative new RBC Centre building located in downtown Toronto that has been described as Toronto's greenest office tower.
About the TD Centre
The Toronto-Dominion Centre is one of North America's largest business communities and home to 21,000 office employees. Due to its visionary design, unequaled size, and central location, this cultural landmark has played a significant role in the success of a generation of Canada's most innovative and extraordinary business leaders. The TD centre consists of six buildings: Toronto Dominion Bank Tower, 77 King Street West, 100 Wellington Street West, TD Waterhouse Tower, Ernst & Young Tower and 95 Wellington Street West.
About Cadillac Fairview
The Cadillac Fairview Corporation Limited is one of North America's largest investors, owners and managers of commercial real estate. For more than 50 years, Cadillac Fairview has been a leader in commercial real estate thank to its innovative designs, development and management. Cadillac Fairview focuses on developing and managing high quality office properties and regional shopping centres across North America as well as international investments in real estate companies and investment funds. With a portfolio valued at more than $19-billion and close to 49-million square feet of leasable space, Cadillac Fairview and its affiliates own and manage 87 properties across the continent, including some of Canada's landmark developments, including the Toronto-Dominion Centre, Toronto Eaton Centre, Pacific Centre and Chinook Centre.
Cadillac Fairview is wholly-owned by the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan, which invests to secure the retirement income of 295,000 active and retired teachers in Ontario.